March is Nutrition Month
As we know, our immune system plays an important role in keeping us healthy. It fights germs associated with viruses by building physical and chemical barriers to prevent pathogens from entering our bodies, it targets and removes pathogens and can even remember pathogens to remove them if the body encounters them again. Micronutrients play a role in these processes and assist in the production of antibodies. When your nutrition is poor, fighting off viruses may be harder since your body is not equipped with the required tools. Research even suggests that certain micronutrients may help fight coronavirus and even though we only need a small quantity of micronutrients, a deficit can lead to a weaker immune system.
The best way to make sure you’re getting enough vitamins and minerals is to eat a well-rounded diet.
|Vitamin C||Tomatoes, citrus fruits, peppers, broccoli, kiwis, berries, leafy greens|
|Vitamin D||Egg yolks, salmon, fortified dairy, mushrooms, SUNLIGHT|
|Vitamin E||Nuts, seeds, leafy greens, and fortified cereals|
|Zinc||Legumes, nuts, seeds. red meat, oysters, turkey (dark meat)|
Salmon Salad with Lemon Dressing
- 16 ounces salmon fillets- four 4-ounce pieces
- Olive oil as needed
- 8 cups of leafy greens
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup cucumber diced, ¼-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- ½ cup walnuts roughly chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice plus zest of one lemon
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Lightly coat both sides of the salmon with salt and pepper and olive oil.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Add a small amount of vegetable oil on a folded piece of paper towel, and carefully grease the grill grates.
- Once the grill is hot, add the salmon fillets. Cook uncovered about 4-5 minutes on each side until flaky (about 130-140°F).
- Remove the salmon from the grill and transfer to a clean plate, cover to keep warm. Remove the skin if still attached.
- In a large bowl add salad ingredients; greens, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, cheese, and walnuts. Set aside.
- Combine dressing ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Toss salad with enough dressing to coat the ingredients, you will have extra dressing. Evenly divide mixture among four bowls and top with 1 salmon fillet. Drizzle each with more dressing if desired.
About Julia Boisselle
Get in touch
These symptoms are called delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Experts used to believe that it was due to lactic acid building up. However, now there’s general agreement that inflammation is the culprit.
Whatever the cause, you can find relief. Use these suggestions to prevent muscle soreness or speed up your recovery.
The many benefits of exercise are well documented, through numerous journals and studies that come to the same conclusion: exercise is good for both body and mind.
2020 has been a tough year on all fronts for nearly everyone. Normalcy was thrown out the window, and for many of us our daily routine has not been able to get back to what it was.
The first step on the path to downshifting your stress level is to recognize the signs of being overly stressed in the first place.
Being physically fit provides us with the self-confidence, energy, and strength to confront the many obstacles life may throw at us and allows us to live our lives to the fullest!